Sunday, March 4, 2012

First Timothy 1:12-17


From the New International Version:

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me faithful, appointing me to his service. Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. The grace of our lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners - of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Commentary

So now Paul gives thanks to the Lord for the grace shown him and he reflects on his past, showing how Christ worked in him and changed him to make him what he became. He recounts his past sins. He was a blasphemer, a persecutor and a violent man. He opposed the church. He jailed Christians and he stood by as vicious crowds stoned them to death. (See the book of Acts)

In all these things, he actually thought h  e was doing God's will, but then Jesus  plucked him off that Damascus road and set him straight. With His abundant grace and mercy, Jesus made Saul of Tarsus into Paul - the greatest missionary in history. If God can do that for Paul, who is the worst of sinners, then what can he do for us?

Paul then closed this section with a short prayer of praise to God.

Questions

  1. How can the path of Paul's life encourage us?
  2. God used Paul as an example of how patient He is willing to be with difficult people. What does this tell us about how we should behave around difficult people?

No comments: