Sunday, December 13, 2015

The Spirit of the Season

Though I am loath to admit it, I was actually lifted into the Christmas Spirit today during praise time at church. We were singing Christmas songs and the attitude was infectious. I left feeling a bit hypocritical, but definitely more Christmassy...is that a word? Who knows.

I also got out a small, artificial Christmas tree that my Mom had wrapped in a garbage bag in the basement. It was already decorated. I only had to debag and place on a table in the living room. I told Dad that is was his Christmas decoration.

Ya, I know. It must be a wonder to live with. It's just as well that I'm not married. I would be divorced in a year. I am just too highly strung.

It has been raining here for two days and it's going to rain all night. There are standing puddles in the lawn. The dog does not even want to go outside to pee. Dad keeps watching the same infomercial over and over again. He has not ordered the product yet, but if he figures out how to do it, we will have a new Shark vacuum cleaner. You think I'm kidding? Last month he almost had a new and inferior medicare part b insurance policy based on junk mail and telephone canvassing. They had Dad convinced that he would be left without insurance if he did not respond to their pleas. People that do this should be locked up. They were taking advantage of him. He has an excellent policy with Wellmark Blue Cross Blue Shield that pays quite well when needed.

The sermon was good today. It was all about balance in the Christian life as portrayed in Romans 14. Dave said it was a bit like walking a tightrope. I'm not sure it's that precarious. Probably more like a very narrow walkway with thin walls on both sides. If you're reading this Dave, that's not a criticism. It's my perception of the passage in Romans.

My thing is moderation. We have to be moderate in everything except moderation. We have to be extreme in our moderation when we are talking about things left to the judgement of the individual Christian's liberty.  

Speaking of that, our financial adviser dropped off a bottle of Chardonnay for Christmas. I put it in the fridge. I have not enjoyed an adult beverage in 5 years. I may crack that open on Christmas Eve and break my fast. I like a good white. Maybe we will have chicken Alfredo with steamed asparagus to go with it.

I'm having coffee with a neighbor tomorrow to discuss my recent SSA announcement. I'm not sure what she wants to discuss, but I am looking forward to our time together. I was supposed to give a book to my new friend Rita today, but I did not see her at church. Rita, if you are out there, I am reserving a copy of Messy Grace for you. Maybe next Sunday eh?

I think I'm done. Talk to you tomorrow.


No comments: