Thursday, November 12, 2015

Celibacy

Celibacy is an interesting subject in the Christian world. It is, or can be, a wonderful gift. The apostle Paul talked about it in those terms and Jesus spoke of those that become eunuchs for the Kingdom of God. I do not believe Jesus was speaking in the literal, surgical sense when He said that, but the more spiritual sense of living like a eunuch.

I am celibate. I have been so for 36 years. I probably would have made a good eunuch.

Early on, my thoughts about celibacy were, "what kind of gift is this? It's like getting socks and a toothbrush for Christmas."

But you know what? You need socks and toothbrushes in life. Further to the point, God gives everyone gifts. Some are teachers, some are pastors, some are ministers. Others have musical or writing talents or mechanical abilities or administrative abilities. The list could go on and on.

God gives us gifts. He expects us to use them. He expects us to glorify Him with them. We should want to do our very best to polish our gifts, to get better and better at them and then give them back to the Lord in kind; not to earn salvation or try to buy His favor, but because we love Him.

So if this is the case, how does this work with celibacy if it is indeed a gift? Good question. When you are truly celibate, you are preparing a rare and precious gift for your Father in heaven. It's called a life of purity.

Now if you know me, you know that I am probably not the highest example of purity. Purity has as much to do with daily living as it does with sexual abstinence. Sometimes I am not as pure as I could be in that way. I am unfinished though. As an excuse I offer that God is not finished with me yet.

So here it is. We are to be living sacrifices to God as believers. My sacrifice is sex among other things. I'm not trying to be smug here, but that's a pretty big deal.

I have learned how to enjoy my gift. It gets better everyday. I think God likes it too. Socks and a toothbrush become much more relevant when you see them in the correct light.

Celibacy is not for everyone. You will know if you can do it. An acquaintance once said that it's OK to be lonely as long as you are free. He was right. He was not married. And he was one of the most talented Christian song writers of the 20th century. 

Loneliness can be a part of it. You just have to learn how to make the most of it. Get in contact with your Creator. Draw near to Him. Let Him inspire you and be your friend. He is the best friend a boy could ever have. He will show you things that you never thought possible.

No comments: