Saturday, May 7, 2016

Your Other Brothers

I have discovered a blog you might want to visit. It's called Your Other Brothers. I would issue one caveat. If you think I "overshare"  here sometimes, then you may not want to go there. The guys are very frank about their lives as same sex attracted Christians. they discuss everything. I mean everything. They even managed to embarrass me. Even so, I found myself both laughing and crying and sympathizing and agonizing with them.

There are 14 of them in total and they all have their own stories as well as interesting blog posts. They all seem to be between 20 and 30 years old. Some are married...to women... that know who they are and I believe some have children.

I am so happy for them that they have built this place where they can be honest and open about their struggles and help the rest of us at the same time. It's some good stuff.

Here is an excerpt from "Elliot's Story Chapter One"
 
"But the most significant memory from this period of my life occurred when I was riding my tricycle around the parking lot watching David play basketball with some of the other kids from the trailer park. The sun was setting and the sky was a vibrant orange.
One of the boys was not wearing a shirt, and it mesmerized me.
His name was Brad, and he was very tan. The warm setting summer sun glistened off his maturing body as he jumped for the basketball hoop. My trance was broken when my brother yelled at me for being in the way, so I rode home.
That was the first time I remember being physically attracted to another guy. I remember fantasizing about that boy for years afterward. To this day, he is just as vivid in my memory. I find it odd that a three-year-old would have such a strong physical, almost sexual attraction at all — let alone to another boy. That makes me question if there are some other memories that may have been suppressed and lost in the dark hallways of that trailer."

It's all high quality stuff. The writing is great. The stories are great. The topics are diverse. Take a look. I would like to write for them, but they seem to be well in advance of me in their skills. They are a courageous bunch.  

No comments: